Sunday, August 16, 2009

Fresh romano beans


I love beans. Sweetie is allergic to beans. When sweetie is away, I make "bean delight!" Doesn't matter what the dish is, we always call it bean delight.


My last bean delight dish was a warm romano bean salad. I was thrilled to find fresh romano beans at a local produce place and greedily purchased them for my dinner. I was so happy, I think I skipped a few steps along the Drive.



Reality set in when I got the beans home. Now what? How do I tackle this now foreign-looking bag of pods? I took a three-pronged approach:

  1. Ask Twitter. This was a #fail, which I attribute to the Italians still being asleep when I tweeted.
  2. Call Mom. Dad answered, uh-oh, Mom was out of the country. I tried to get Dad to channel nonna for her recipe but it was futile.
  3. Google the experts.

Google wasn't as easy as it sounds, partly because I didn't know that romano beans are also called cranberry beans or borlotti beans. I settled on combining the wisdom of Mark Bittman and David Lebovitz.


Here's what I did. It's nonna-style, with imprecise quantities and instructions. Simply do what feels right.


Warm romano bean salad

  • Shell your romano beans: This is best done outside because that's how my nonnas did it. Before starting, pour yourself a nice glass of red wine (that's my addition). Shell the beans directly into your pot. Discard the pods.
  • Add water and a few cloves of garlic to your pot of beans and bring to a boil.
  • Simmer 20-30 minutes or to your liking.
  • Drain.
  • Mix the warm beans with your favourite vinaigrette.



Vinaigrette for about 2 cups of cooked beans


Mix together:

  • 5 T olive oil
  • Thinly sliced onions
  • Chopped fresh basil
  • 1 1/2 T dry white wine
  • 1 1/2 T red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Add the warm beans to your vinaigrette. Try adding tomatoes or greens if you like.


Enjoy your bean delight!




3 comments:

Chef Chuck said...

Them beans look and sound delicious!! Thank You :)

deb at nonna's house said...

They were delicious! Chef Chuck, your zucchini flowers look great!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

They look wonderful! Makes me want to get some out of the freezer....