Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Happy Birthday Nonno


Although my Nonno Tony lived into his nineties, he didn't make it as far as today, which marks his 99th birthday. Ninety-nine years.



His mother carried him during the time of cholera epidemics in southern Italy. She was later taken by the 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic.


Italy, as a country, was only 50 years old. As was Italian as the official language, an adaptation of the Tuscan dialect, and the language of Dante.


In 1911, L'Inferno, an adaptation of Dante's Inferno was the first full-length Italian feature film ever made. It was a silent film, which wasn't shown in Nonno's town. When he was born, there was no electricity in town. Today, you can watch the YouTube version on your phone.


The world has seen much change since the days of Nonno's youth and life in his small Calabrese town. Today I remember his journey and his life.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this entry is a few months old but I wanted to share that my grandma or nonna was born the same day as your nonno but in 1900. She was born in or near Campolieto. Thanks for the great tidbits of trivia about Italy from that time period. And the bit about watching that movie on a phone really puts things in perspective.

deb at nonna's house said...

Thanks for stopping by, Michelle. I'm enjoying the food and family stories on your blog. When I think of the generation of our nonni, it amazes me how much technology has changed our lives, yet the really important things never change.

Victoria said...

I came across this page while searching for a birthday poem for my Nonno who passed five months ago. I am Calabrese too! I can't wait to read your other posts.
PS I believe my Nonno told us stories about Dante L'inferno

deb at nonna's house said...

Hi Victoria. Thanks for coming to Nonna's House. I look forward to your comments.